Further your profession by becoming a Certified Demolition Supervisor (CDS). The CDS certification recognizes individuals who have demonstrated competence in demolition of structures, including but not limited to structural, selective, interior, or dismantlement. A CDS is accountable for all aspects of a demolition project site, including safety, environmental, operations, and people management. The CDS designation promotes safe and quality practice through its ongoing requirements for professional growth in the demolition industry.
To obtain the CDS certification, individuals must meet certain requirements and then pass a 110-question exam. The CDS exam was created by demolition professionals, so each exam question can be related to real-life demolition experiences.
Registration for the Exam at Demolition San Antonio is Closed
The application window to take the exam at Demolition San Antonio closed on Friday, February 16. Late or onsite applications will not be accepted.
*Individuals must register separately for Demolition San Antonio. Register here.
To be eligible to sit for the CDS Certification exam, an individual must meet the following requirements:
- 5 years of hands-on demolition experience out of the last 7 years
- Completion of 8 hour Fall Protection Course or an 8 hour Fall Prevention Course*
- Completion of OSHA 30 Course*
- Completion of 8 hours of asbestos awareness training or an 8 hour HAZWOPER awareness training*
- Current CPR & First Aid Certification*
- Verification from Sponsor of demolition experience, completed by (examples listed below):
- A current or former employer who can verify that the applicant possesses five years of demolition experience
- A current CDS certificant who can verify that the applicant possesses five years of demolition experience
- A union representative who can verify applicant possesses five year of demolition experience
- A recent client who can verify demolition experience PLUS a demolition license from a regulatory authority that shows at least five years of experience
*Candidates are required to submit documentation showing proof of education/training completed. Review of applications will be delayed if documentation is not submitted.
About the CDS Exam
The CDS Certification Exam is a computer-based, online exam offered in a multiple choice format. No travel needed, candidates can take the exam at home or in the office. A total of 110 questions will be administered and candidates will have 2.5 hours to complete the exam.
It will cover the following five (5) domains:
- Safety - maintain a safe job site (approximately 32% of the test)
- Environmental - ensure environmental stewardship on every project (approximately 16% of the test)
- Operational Methodology - ensure effective functioning of the project (approximately 19% of the test)
- Project Management - ensure effective administrative set up and standard operating procedures (approximately 15% of the test)
- People Management - effective guidance of team members and the culture of the project (approximately 18% of the test)
Download Exam Content Outline
|Initial Exam Fee (1st Time Application Only)
|$595 USD (NDA Members) | $755 USD (Non-Members)
|Retake Exam Fee
2024 Testing Window and Application Deadlines
|January 29 - February 9
|Apply between November 6 and December 8
|December 8, 2023
|March 5 - 6
|Apply between January 23 and February 16
|February 16, 2024
|April 15 - 26
|Apply between February 19 and March 8
|March 8, 2024
|July 15 - 26
|Apply between April 22 and May 31
|May 31, 2024
|November 1 - 15
|Apply between August 19 and September 30
|September 30, 2024
Candidates that did not successfully pass the exam are eligible to retest for a discounted rate. Candidates are granted a one-year eligibility period to pass the exam. During the eligibility period, candidates have up to three attempts to pass the exam. A candidate may not retake an examination in the same testing window as the original attempt. After the third attempt, candidates must wait a year from the date of the last exam appointment to reply for certification. At the fourth attempt, candidates will be required to complete the initial certification process again, including application, supporting documentation, and initial exam fee.
Submit your retake application - APPLY HERE
A list of reference materials have been provided for candidates to prepare prior to testing. The following list of materials were used in the development of the certification exam.
Renewal of the Certification
The CDS certification is valid for three years. The certification cycle begins at the time of notification of successful completion of the certification exam and continues through March 31, every three years.
Recertification is required to ensure that certificants maintain a level of continued competence through ongoing enhancement of knowledge and skills in the field. Continued competence is defined by NDA as demonstrating knowledge, skills, or ability to proficiently perform as a certified demolition supervisor throughout the certificant’s professional career. Recertification of the CDS promotes continued competence throughout the certificant’s career in the demolition industry by requiring submission of continuing education units every three years.
More information on continuing education units will be released at a later date.
Frequently Asked Questions
You have questions and we have the answers! Explore some of the most commonly asked questions about certification with helpful answers to guide you.
To learn more about the Certified Demolition Supervisor contact NDA’s Certification Manager: